Saturday, November 10, 2012

Japanese lunch tomorrow

I'm super excited about the lunch I'm making tomorrow.  I invited my friend Jean over as she's adventurous about eating (I took her a few slices of lotus root the other day and she popped a big chunk in her mouth... I would've taken a timid bite) and she always enjoys my cooking.

My menu:
- teriyaki chicken with a shiitake mushroom on the side (I'll cut an x/cross out of the middle to make it fancy)
- rice, with a sprinkle of black sesame
- miso soup (going to skip the tofu) and put it green onions and enoki mushrooms
- sweet pepper and bean sprout stir-fry, with salt and pepper
- bok choy stir-fried in chili sesame oil
- pickle plate: takuan, pickled cabbage, and ginger (not sure if I should include this because I don't know what it "goes" with)

served with green tea

- hanami dango for dessert (I know it's not spring, but I liked the way they looked.  I put some jello powder in the pink one instead of food coloring).  I made an experiment batch today and they were sooo good!

I concentrated a lot on the menu so that it would have umami, salty, sweet, sour, and bitter flavors, and as many colors as possible.

Okay, so maybe it's not traditionally Japanese, but for me, it's pretty good.  Any comments/criticisms?

No comments:

Post a Comment