Saturday, February 25, 2012

workout DVDs

I've been trying to get healthier lately.  This involves eating less processed foods and exercising more (I wouldn't mind losing 8 or so pounds).  My diet already consisted mostly of protein and vegetables with some whole grain on the side, so that was pretty good.  I've switched from dairy milk to coconut (to avoid growth hormones) and also to organic yogurt.  Haven't figured out what to do about cheese.  After that, I'll move on to meat, but I really can't afford to go all-organic.  I can't wait for summer so I can get my veg from the farmer's stand a mile away.

Also, I thought I'd share my thoughts on a few workout videos.  I'm a big fan of Jillian Michaels and although I usually am not interested in celebrities and what they have to say, I trust Michaels' perspective and even listen to her podcast every week.  Two years ago I bought my first workout DVD.

30 Day Shred, as my first attempt at any kind of workout, was very difficult for me, even at Level 1.  I have very little upper body strength.  When I revisited the DVD last week, I found the moves not quite as difficult but still can't get through any upper body work completely and with gusto-- especially push-ups!  Still, it's a good workout.

I also bought Cardio Kickbox at the same time but never popped it in until last week.  Apparently I'm a big fan of cardio and can get through that more easily than any kind of strength move.  The video is FAST, though, and I sometimes have a difficult time catching my breath, keeping up, and keeping my balance with the pace.  I feel warmed up about 30 seconds in (and I keep my house at 60 degrees!) and have usually started sweating after a few minutes.  But, it's fun, and the 20 minutes passes quickly.

Then today, I tried Ripped in 30.  I prefer this to 30DS as I can complete most of the moves.  :D  Staying in plank for 30 seconds left me shaking, though; I have to remember to breathe.  :)  Once again, the 2 minutes of cardio are my favorite part of this.  Once I get used to the moves, this will probably become a favorite.

I'm not the type of person to go to the gym, so staying at home and working out is great for me.  20 minutes leaves me feeling like I've accomplished something but I'm not too tired for the rest of my day.  I do hike as well, anywhere from 3-10 mile stretches, and typically hike about 8 miles a week.  Once spring comes I can get my bike out as well.

Hope this is helpful and perhaps convinces my readers to give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment