Monday, February 27, 2012

Need to get more vegetables in your diet?

I don't consider myself an expert by any means, but I am happy with the way I'm able to incorporate vegetables in my meals easily and thought I'd share a few tips.

1: When you make a meal, ask "how can I put veg in here?"  Try not to cook anything/make a meal WITHOUT vegetables in the main dish!  I made taco meat the other day... cut up peppers and onions to add to the meat.  Not only does it stretch it, but I got a serving of veg, too!

2: If you're still a little hungry after your meal, fill it with veg.  The fiber and water fill me up, and I feel full without eating many more calories.  I'll often make a quick salad after (or before) my main meal.

3: Aim for one cooked and one raw veg per lunch and dinner for some variety.  The other day I made chicken paprikas and put green peppers, mushrooms, and onion in the sauce (even though the original recipe doesn't call for veg) then thought "now, what vegetable should I have?"  :)  I was thinking raw vegetable, so had some sliced cucumber.

4: You can't eat them if they're not around.  Keep a variety in the refrigerator.

5: But, don't waste them!  If you're not using them, plan how you will and make a menu that has not only a main dish but the sides/veg as well.

Remember that a woman needs 5 servings a day and a man needs 6... that's more than a serving of green beans at dinner.  ;)

I hope this will help someone... does anyone else have tips to share?  Please do!

1 comment:

  1. I love vegetables and I eat a lot of them. These are great tips!

    ReplyDelete